Hello Erlang ++ BEAM World (introductions thread)

Hi! I’m Donovan
I work in data primarily, building pipelines, dashboards and helping US startups with their data culture and decision-making and I’m fairly new to erlang

I’m currently helping as a strategic lead at a Stellenbosch-based ( The South African Tech hub ) Startup. ( I work remotely ^^ )

We are building with Erlang on our embedded system <3 , you might have see our founder on here too, Saprrow aka Dale

Between me & Dale we would LOVE to get some insight & support from other Erlang developers, and especially guidance from Senior Erlang devs. Feel free to send me a message if you’re an Erlang developer looking for a project to work on/mentor or feel you have domain knowledge to share or perhaps if you’re looking for a side-gig !

6 Likes

Hello again, all! I’m John from Colorado, USA. I am (still) very much a beginner with Erlang. I hung out here a lot last year when I was starting out. Then life got in the way and I got sidetracked with other things. Again. And to be honest, I was pretty discouraged by the last Advent of Code when, after a lot of studying, I couldn’t understand anyone’s solutions past day one. :joy: But I’m back at it again, with much to relearn. I love this community and should have stuck with it while I had some steam going.

5 Likes

Hi all. I am Adam Wan from Hong Kong.
I am a software engineer currently focusing on bioinformatics.

3 Likes

I’m Ben Scherrey - software architect, language designer living in Bangkok Thailand. I got exposed to Erlang in the early 90’s when I consulted to Ericsson in Texas. Didn’t do anything with it until much later (after it was open sourced). Was still hard to do “regular” apps and I moved away from it. Big fan of the BEAM. Got re-introduced into it when Elixir first appeared on the scene. Was nice to actually see utf-8 support & I thought the macro mechanism had great potential for making DSLs. Alas, they changed the macro mechanism to require ()'s everywhere which broke 100% of my DSL designs and then I discovered that utf-8 support was actually something Erlang added, not Elixir so I re-discovered Erlang and have looked for opportunities to use it ever since.

Two weeks ago I trained 8 new people on how to use Erlang for backend programming and it went quite well. I suspect we’re going to foster a functional/Erlang presence in Bangkok soon and do some great decentralized/distributed systems.

8 Likes

I’m Magnus Leone, and I’ve been using Erlang since 2008, when I started doing 4G development at Ericsson. The test environment there is mostly Erlang, and I’ve been back and forth in different positions around Ericsson, mostly doing Erlang-related stuff. I did a stint in China, first at Ericsson, partly teaching Erlang, and later quit to teach at a high school instead. Moved back to Sweden in the fall of 2015, and have been working as a consultant ever since. Did 2 years at SAAB with Gripen E, but otherwise I’ve again mostly done Erlang stuff.

My favorite Erlang feature is probably pattern matching - it just makes code so incredibly compact, while at the same time being more readable than other languages. I do sorely miss the ternary operator though!

I’m not a great programmer, but I’m pretty good at explaining things, and I have a decent sense of what good design is. I made an Erlang Binaries cheat sheet for anyone who’s interested.

On my spare time I do HEMA fencing, scuba diving, and photography.

7 Likes

Hello I am yushli. I find this forum is very friendly and helpful. Right now I am just asking questions regarding to Erlang/OTP but hope can contribute back one day.

5 Likes

Here’s to my two years anniversary on the Forum :slight_smile: Cheers :beers:

5 Likes

Or maybe more appropriately, some :coffee: for you!

3 Likes

Thanks :rofl: There wasn’t an emoji for toasting with coffee :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

And here’s to mine, cheers everyone :beers::coffee:

4 Likes

Hello all, newbie to the BEAM world here. Mostly learning Elixir at the moment. I’m originally from the UK, but now based near Kobe in Japan.

6 Likes

Hello, I’m mostly an Elixir developer, I dip my toe into the Erlang world pretty rarely TBH, but I see us all part of the greater BEAM family. It’s an excellent runtime with potential that has barely been tapped, and I’m happy to be a part of its future.

3 Likes