Looking for tips finding Erlang jobs

Almost the same here (I’m from Madagascar), i got replies and interviews sometimes but I keep failing because I lack experience and my English pronunciation and level is not as good as I want it to be ( I guess…).

My reasoning is just that that with the shortage of developer nowadays it is surely affecting the Erlang job market so if you keep sending applications, one day (I hope) someone will certainly consider your application and give you your chance to shine.

For now you can just let the process crash and restart it.

PS: where did you guys get your Erlang job???

2 Likes

Exactly

PS: where did you guys get your Erlang job???

Argentinian folk here, and let me tell you my story…

I’ve got my first Erlang job (back in 2008) by applying to a job posted on the mailing list of my university. I was studying Computer Science then, and that career in the Universidad de Buenos Aires includes a few courses about (or around) Haskell. The job offer said they were looking for “somebody willing to learn a ‘strange’ functional programming language called Erlang”. I applied, did my interview in Haskell and they hired me.

Years later that company disintegrated. At the same time, I finished my career and went to Europe for my honeymoon. Part of our trip was visiting family in Poland. So, I took a quick detour to Krakow and got my Erlang Intermediate Certificate from Erlang Solutions. With that certificate in hand, I went back to Buenos Aires and applied for another Erlang job: Chad DePue was opening a new company (Inaka) and he needed a backend developer to build Erlang servers for the mobile apps he was going to build. I was, most likely, the only developer in South America with an Erlang Certification. I think that helped, but I also did well in the interview, I believe :slight_smile:

Years later (after being acquired by Erlang Solutions) that company also disintegrated. But years before that I had started writing a blog, delivering talks at conferences, organizing events, and, most importantly, creating and maintaining open-source projects in Erlang. In one of those conferences (An Erlang Factory at San Francisco), I met Miriam Pena. She told me that NextRoll was looking for developers. I dismissed that offer at that time, but months later… I contacted her again. Turns out they were still looking for Erlang developers.

And that, kids, is how I met my jobs.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story Brujo! :smiley:

Brujo has already covered the first bit, but regarding English, if you’re hoping to get employed in a company who uses English as their main language why not take some time to brush up on those skills? There are some great videos on YouTube that could help and even doing things like reading books (any books) in English can be invaluable. In fact whenever anyone ever asks me for advice on what subjects to take at school I always recommend English - no matter what field you go into being able to communicate effectively will always be useful and could give you the edge when applying for jobs :blush:

1 Like