Which code editor or IDE do you use?

Sublime Text with the most wonderful extension in the whole wide world:
https://erlang-ls.github.io/

7 Likes

I think the regular Erlang extension (by P Gourlain) is a VScode only solution, even if I think it is using the Language Server Protocol.

Erlang_ls is a language server implementation which can be used together with many front ends. I know many user combining it with emacs.

I also think the activity and cooperation around erlang_ls is much higher than for the regular Vscode Erlang extension.

4 Likes

I use vim, because I think that using a minimal IDE (if you can even call it that) practically forces you to keep your code simple, clean, organized, focused, and most of all, comprehensible (at least for yourself (at least for a while)). I believe that, when you start needing the help of a fancy IDE to understand and keep track of your code, it is a clear sign that it is growing out of proportion.

That said, I admit that it is a different matter when it comes to things that are not your doing, then you might need the help of an IDE just to get an idea of what is going on.

8 Likes

Yeah ditto, emacs is where I do my heavy lifting (in eVil mode of course).

+1

True that!

Wait what? Linky?

Hmm I kind of go against that, the tooling I get let’s me be far far more productive, from being able to Ctrl+B on something to jump to its definition (or I can see it in a popup in full with its docs) to being able to have intelligent snippet generation to just outright save me so much time and thought (it’s far easier to confirm it after then it is to generate), I’ve always been far more productive with a good tool, even on the most trivial of projects.

2 Likes

I use vim with the bare minimum configuration. I’ll echo Maria here.

Nice try starting an editor war by the way.

8 Likes

vim here, too. I have been using Eclipse with the erlide plugin before, but switched to vim when I started contributing to Ranch, and stayed with it forthwith, mainly for the reasons @Maria-12648430 enumerated in her post.

5 Likes

Currently rocking an impressive clone of the AmigaDOS’ ED display editor [1]. Nowhere near as feature-ready as the top dogs but it’s got a solid base to work on top of.

Had an on/off affair with Kakoune before that. I’ll probably switch back to emacs at some near point like a prodigal son.

VSCode for lazy days or for when I’m sharing my screen with others.

[1]: Credits to deadpixi

2 Likes

Im new to the ecosystem, I’ve been using vscode + vim for lots of stuff (js, C#, c++ rust) previously so Im comfortable with both. Ive been trying to use the erlang ls with Coc in vim but its constantly timing out, so I have a mission ahead to go find out what exactly is crashing. I’ve noticed the same behavior in vscode. I also tried the erlang plugin in vscode and even got the vscode debugger working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, not with JIT, but with native compilation. ~Daily built from master with --with-native-compilation if I understand the build script correctly.

2 Likes

I use LunarVim as much as possible but I must admit that for large codebases I tend to use IntelliJ.
I’d like to learn emacs but got no time to do so!

2 Likes

How does this work, does it compile all the scripts to native machine code on first load of them or something (which sounds like a JIT)?

2 Likes

I use VS Code because it works out of the box with my setup. Windows + wsl2 without needing to install xserver or other things.

Sometimes I miss emacs

2 Likes

No, it’s not jit, it’s aot. Usually packages would be compiled into native code on first load instead of Emacs VM code. On nixos though the scripts try to compile even earlier (environment update) to the native code, as that’s more within the nix spirit.

I’m not sure if it really gives me any benefits, I never did any benchmarks. I originally switched to it, because of native JSON handling, which indeed made the LSP feeling more responsive.

Since it’s in mainline Emacs I just stuck to the native compilation branch for being used to it.

2 Likes

I’m really pleased to see Vim in the lead :003:

Also just a quick note to say that you can change your vote at any time - so if you find one day you switch editors, please update your vote above :023:

2 Likes

I’m more pleased to see that people are using what they think fit them best. Let’s all just get along without any editor wars!

3 Likes

Haha, people are allowed to have their faves - and like them so much they want others to know how good they think they are :upside_down_face: that’s how people get others to adopt tech, whether it be languages …or code editors :smiley:

Some of my most popular blog posts are those where I’ve spoken about how much I like something (including Vim :see_no_evil:)

2 Likes

Of course people should have their favourites and be passionate about them - as long as they’re aware they’ll never be as good as Emacs. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

:081:

Haha love it :lol:

The closest I got to trying Emacs was SpaceMacs - in evil mode :icon_twisted:

2 Likes

Not a bad way to jump in to it at all, can always refine it later. ^.^

1 Like

Please don’t make me learn Emacs. I’m already learning Erlang and Swedish. I’m running out of slots in my brain to learn new things. :joy:

11 Likes