Crash dump of erl.exe with windows server 2012 r2

I wanted to install rabbitmq 3.12.12 and erlang 26.2.1 (both newest version) on a windows server 2012 r2 server (sorry, i have to do this and can’t update the windows server).
If i call any of the commands in rabbitmq (e.g. rabbitmq-plugins.bat) and even if i call only erl.exe i see that erlang crashes immediately and writes a crush.dump file.
The main error i see is
Initial call: user_drv:init/1
exception error: no match of right hand side value(error, (‘SetConsoleMode’ ‘The parameter is incorrect’).
Sorry, I am new an never used erlang before.
Can anyone can give me a hint on how i can solve the problem ?

You will most likely need to run a version of Erlang before 26 on that Windows release.

Hi garazdawi,
i installed the newest 25 version and now everything works fine !
Thank you very much for the fast help :slight_smile:

Hi,

Can you please share a link with supported Windows versions and the change that prevents version 26 from running on Windows Server 2012 R2?

I didn’t find anything in https://github.com/erlang/otp/releases/download/OTP-26.0/OTP-26.0.README

Also Erlang installation should check it (in otp/erts/etc/win32/nsis/erlang20.nsi at master · erlang/otp · GitHub), e.g. with GetWinVer from Scripting Reference

We aim to support all the Windows versions that Microsoft support. It is however only an aim, and not a promise. In the case of Erlang/OTP 26 you need to have a windows version that supports setting the console in ENABLE_VIRTUAL_TERMINAL_INPUT/ PROCESSING mode. I’m having a hard time figuring out which version of Windows that was added in, probably because it exists in all the versions that microsoft currently supports.

At the bottom of the Installation Guide you can find a list of which OSs and architectures we test on. That should give a good idea of which versions are knows to work.

A PR fixing that would be most welcome!