Erlang Blog Posts

Hi folks! New week - new topic from Ukrainian Erlanger :metal: for Erlang Battleground. In this time described profiling tool fprof which is available out of the box at Erlang/OTP.

6 Likes

Something I wrote last year:

6 Likes

Hi folks! New week - new topic from Ukrainian Erlanger :metal: for Erlang Battleground. In this time described profiling tool eprof which is available out of the box at Erlang/OTP. And also we talk about how this simple and great tool was help solve AdventOfCode tasks. Enjoy!

8 Likes

The BEAM VM is ideal for the Health Care industry where downtime can have significant real-world impacts. Check out this community story of how one Healthcare was able to improvement patient outcomes and be prepared for the demands of the COVID-19 pandemic thanks to their use of the BEAM.

6 Likes

As an appetite whetter: “Erlang process per patient, not database row per patient”. Well worth a read :+1:

4 Likes

In Spanish :es:

4 Likes

Debugging the BEAM
Inspired by exploration of .gitignore file in the OTP repo - it has .vscode folder that finally pushed me to using VSCode to replace my slightly dated emacs.

11 Likes

Great stuff. Well worth a read. :muscle::+1::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @georgfaust.

2 Likes

So I decided to do something that’s surely a “great” idea: get automated appups and relups in a Kubernetes container, getting live upgrades again despite Kubernete’s best efforts at providing immutable containers and infrastructure.

I figure it was time to experiment a bit with that stuff, and it seems surprisingly more pleasant to use than I expected at first.

18 Likes

Yet another view on Erlang tracing features, mentioning recon_trace and redbug.

6 Likes

I decided to write up a bit of Erlang optimization work I did in a side project, where I kept observing poor network performance with “a hump followed by a long tail”, until I could rearrange data buffering and obtain a 20x increase in transfer speeds.

10 Likes

I posted this on Hachyderm back in December, but I figure it’s worth sharing here, too.

My blog post series on Erlang TLS distribution between Kubernetes pods, with mTLS and automatic certificate provisioning … is finally finished.

Start with the introduction, here: Erlang cluster on Kubernetes: Introduction | Roger's Blog

3 Likes

That looks really interesting. Now to find the time to work through it.

Start with the introduction

Well I did, but then I immediately got sidetracked by the final link, Erlang cluster on Kubernetes: Fatal - Certificate Expired!

• What are our options for CA expiry? How do we roll the CA certificate without downtime?

Engineering meets the real world - you cover the hard technical hurdles, then something mundane comes along and urinates on your bonfire!

2 Likes

Hi folks! New topic from Ukrainian Erlanger :metal: for Erlang Battleground. In this time described Garbage Collector at Erlang/OTP. If you want to expand the examples or improve the topic - let me know. Enjoy!

5 Likes

I finally found time to answer this question: Erlang cluster on Kubernetes: Rotating CA certificates | Roger's Blog

4 Likes

Hello everyone,
I wrote an article about testing dynamic software updates (also called hot code upgrades) with Common Test. It is part of an effort to provide a Github template to do CI/CD with Github Actions for Erlang/OTP.

If you have a medium subscription, here is the link to the medium post.

If you do not have a medium subscription, here is a free link to my personal website.

Feel free to leave a comment ! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Have a nice day !

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this!

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

After receiving some feedback about the file structure of the template, I already fixed it to make it easier to use with rebar projects.

Creating an issue, if you have some feedback to give or if you encounter any problem, helps me improve this template. Do not hesitate to open one !

Ps: I forgot to mention it in my previous post but my template is inspired by this post, written by Fred Hebert.

Have a nice day !

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I wrote a small blog post about publishing common_test results on Github.

At first, I struggled to understand how they did it in the Erlang/OTP repository. So, when I figured this out, I thought it might be interesting to share how to set this functionality up with the rest of the community.

Have a nice day !

4 Likes