Erlang developers - are you remote or office based?

Just a question slightly off topic, but what is the scenario these days. Do folks work remotely or go into offices. I take it that we are all from different parts of the world. I am just curious because here in South Africa, we have until the end of the year for the ‘jab’. As I am unemployed, this does not affect me, but it looks like that the way going forward here is remote work.

I am asking because when I get enough knowledge, it would suit me to work remotely (also because I live in a small town many miles from any major city).

Remote or office based?
  • Fully remote
  • Mostly remote
  • Slightly more remote
  • About 50/50
  • Slightly more office based
  • Mostly office based
  • Fully office based
  • Other - please say in thread

0 voters

4 Likes

Sounds like a good candidate for a dedicated topic Dimitri - have moved your post into a new thread and have added a poll to it :003:

4 Likes

I’m a network engineer, not a dev, so I won’t pollute the poll with my answer. But I’ve been remote for about six years and honestly would love to start going back into the office to get some in-person human interaction with more than just my kids.

4 Likes

I have been working with companies/customers for the last ±6 years exclusively remotely and does not intend to return to the office :upside_down_face:. Say NO to the office! :smiley: But in fact, this is a matter of taste, whoand how is used to working, I personally do not see myself in the office at all :upside_down_face:.

3 Likes

I have to drive about 50 minutes to get to my office, so working from home has been nice, but I do miss chatting in person with coworkers, white-boarding problems, etc. I don’t miss that drive, though, so I’d only go in once or twice a week.

If I lived in a city where I could walk to work or just hop on a bus/subway–like Stockholm–I would absolutely love going into the office. #lifegoals

4 Likes

I’ve worked remotely for around 5-6 years now, but for companies that have offices local. I don’t do the commute often because it would add up to 10+ hours a week, but for quarterly roadmap planning and team building events it’s close enough for me to show up.

I like it because I get my own quiet office space, and can choose when I want to go into a shared workspace.

4 Likes