File operation error when starting ERTS in windows 10

Been using erlang for a while now and between yesterday and today started getting the following:

=ERROR REPORT==== 17-Nov-2021::21:24:34.487000 ===
File operation error: enxio. Target: d:/GitHub/proper/_build/default/lib/proper/ebin.beam. Function: get_file. Process: code_server.

Erlang version 24.1.5
Eshell version 12.1.5
WIndows version 10.0.19044.1348

No idea what this error means, nor why it started happening, what changed, …

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling erlang. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Likes

I would blow away your _build directory and try again re-building. I’m not sure if you have a typo in the path there, but ebin.beam looks very funny. ebin should be a directory that contains .beam files (e.g., proper.beam, proper_arith.beam, proper_array.beam, etc.).

The error of course may be unrelated to the file perhaps. enxio means there was a problem communicating with a device or was it not found (No such device or address). This is odd, as it’s like you’re trying to open a special file (device, fifo, etc.).

3 Likes

I appreciate the suggestion but I did not build erlang myself. I downloaded and installed the Windows Installer from erlang.org. And it was working, then it wasn’t! So it didn’t happen from the start. My wonder is if there is some file that ERTS is using that somehow got locked and now I can’t open it. Is there some log file somewhere that will give me more information on the cause of the error?

2 Likes

Found the issue in my .erlang file (which I had forgotten I had set up). There was a call to code_load_abs in there that frankly I don’t remember putting in, nor remember what it was for! Thanks for your help, believe it or not your comment helped clue me in to the issue.

3 Likes

I’m glad it led broke you out of your error loop! And that’s a bit of info I will still in my back pocket for the future as well. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes