How to configure VerneMQ to use SSL/TLS for transport and secure with Auth using files

Hi All

I am able to configure secure VerneMQ secure with Auth using files following reference link Auth using files - VerneMQ

Now I would like configure VerneMQ to use SSL/TLS for transport.

Thank you for your help and support

Regards, Bao

Hi,

it’d be helpful to me if you let me know where the documentation is incomplete.

In short, what you need to do is to configure a TLS endpoint in the vernemq.conf file. Example for a TLS listener called default:

listener.ssl.default = 127.0.0.1:8883

listener.ssl.default.cafile = /etc/ssl/cacerts.pem
listener.ssl.default.certfile = /etc/ssl/cert.pem
listener.ssl.default.keyfile = /etc/ssl/key.pem

You can configure more, of course (like requesting Client certificates, and more TLS details). But above is basically what you need to do: give VerneMQ the needed information to configure a TLS listener. (cert.pem is the TLS Server certificate, key.pem is the private key of that certificate, cacerts.pem is the file with needed Certificate authorities).

Hi @afa

Thank you very much for reply.
I think documentation SSL/TLS from URL MQTT Listeners | VerneMQ is incomplete in explaining steps to generate certificates. I have to alot digging and search from Google to achieve this. For example

VerneMQ Broker Requirements

  • CA certificate of the CA that has signed the server certificate on the VerneMQ Broker.
  • CA certificated server certificate.
  • Server Private key for decryption.
  • To create these certificates and keys we use the openssl software.
    • For windows you will find the install download files here.
    • On Linux you can install openssl using :
      • sudo apt-get install openssl

This will help developers and DevOps who want to use VerneMQ.

Thank you for your help and support

Regards, Bao

@baoquach thanks for your input. I’ll see that I can add those notes as suggested.

Usually, the question of TLS certificates is out of scope, as use cases have pre-existing requirements and cert infrastructure in place. But your remark about dev/devops is very valid.