Introduction to Erlang Programming Course (CodeRed)

Alright, folks!
A while back, I recorded a course for CodeRed that introduces Erlang and OTP for newcomers:

Course Overview

There is a language that powers 90% of all Internet traffic. It’s also the language behind some extremely successful and widely distributed applications, like WhatsApp, Bet365, and more. It’s a very unique language that runs on one of the most powerful virtual machines in existence. But there are not enough developers in the world that know it. Now, you can be one of them.

Erlang (that language) and the BEAM (its virtual machine) are designed to let you develop and maintain sophisticated distributed systems with high demands in terms of scalability and reliability without requiring a Masters’s degree in Computer Science or Engineer to write your code. Erlang is also a functional programming language, where concepts such as pattern-matching and high-order functions will open your mind to a whole new world of possibilities.

Are you interested in achieving this level of knowledge? Then this is the course for you!

After these classes, you’ll be able to build a system that uses functional concurrent programming to achieve scalability and reliability while still being easy to understand, debug, and maintain.

What You Will Learn

• How to write sequential code in Erlang using functional programming?
  • A great way to do Test-Driven Development in Erlang using only pattern-matching.
  • How to create processes and exchange information between them using messages?
  • The multiple ways of handling and dealing with errors to ensure reliability.
  • How abstraction and encapsulation work in a concurrent functional programming language?

Video overview:

https://codered.eccouncil.org/course/introduction-to-erlang-programming

13 Likes

Given the platform in which it’s provided, the course is not free. But CodeRed gave me 5 free vouchers that I can distribute as I please before 2022-12-25 (in other words, they are only valid until Christmas).

I know that people in these forums are probably not the primary target audience for the course, so this is my idea to distribute the vouchers:

BRING YOUR FRIENDS TO ERLANG FOR CHRISTMAS!!

If you have a friend who wants to learn Erlang. Or if you have a friend that you want to teach Erlang to… send me a private message giving me a bit of context on your story and I can give you one of the vouchers so you can give it to them as a gift. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Let’s spread the word about Erlang a little bit more!

I’ll wait for your DMs.

…aaaand now I have just 4 vouchers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, I’m new to this, as I can’t seem to figure out a way to send a direct message (I’m really bad with social media) . Can I please get a voucher?

2 Likes

…and now they’re just 3 vouchers left!

2 Likes

Nice one Brujo! I didn’t know you had a course - remind me to turn this into the official thread for it once the giveaway is over :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello, I’m very interested in the course too. I am not really a beginner on the BEAM, but I am interested in learning from a top Erlang instructor.

3 Likes

Well well well… Now there are only 2 tickets left!

3 Likes

me??
about the last 2 tickets?

2 Likes

Just one voucher left!

2 Likes

:raising_hand_man:
any more available?

2 Likes

:raised_hand:t6: I’m I too late?

1 Like

The last voucher was given away already. Sorry for those that couldn’t get one, better luck next time!

@AstonJ The topic is all yours :slight_smile:

1 Like