Jiffy building tools - enc executable throws missing main errors

I’ve just tried jiffy under the new OTP25-rc1, and as it has happened before, it doesn’t work because the enc executable throws missing main errors. It is a bit frustrating that this has happened before, and I’d love to just make a PR to jiffy and fix it myself, you know, it’s an open source project, but I don’t even understand what is that enc supposed to do. Should we maybe try building jiffy with plain rebar3 and port_compiler, like most projects would usually do? Has this been discussed in the past? A more generic building tooling is more maintainable.

2 Likes

I pushed a PR for this nearly two years ago, there doesn’t seem to be any interest. I just rebased it, in case you want to contact the maintainer again.

3 Likes

i try it, default enc not work on OTP25-rc1, you can rebuild enc[GitHub - davisp/erlang-native-compiler: A standalone executable for compiling native code for Erlang.] use OTP25.rc1 and copy new enc to jiffy/enc. maybe it is seem like old rebar3 not work new otp version.

2 Likes

I wonder why rebar3 doesn’t come with nif/port compiler tools like enc that work on Linux Windows Macs and don’t need to write makefiles. Would it be more convenient if rebar3 integrated enc.

2 Likes

Beautiful! Should we try to push for this? Is the author of jiffy in this forum?

2 Likes

The issue is that this happens almost every other OTP release, and it’s problematic to have to update enc, then update jiffy, then update every dependency that uses jiffy, then update every dependency that uses those dependencies…
It should have all had a more smooth supply-chain, the current is quite convoluted :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes