kerl build of erlang, problem with wx on mac

I am trying to build Erlang with kerl on mac, using latest wxwidgets installed with homebrew. I have tried both R23 and R25 builds but always get the following:

$ KERL_BUILD_DOCS=yes KERL_DOC_TARGETS=chunks kerl build 25.2.3 25.2.3
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 25.2.3 (25.2.3), please wait...
APPLICATIONS INFORMATION (See: /Users/geib/.kerl/builds/25.2.3/otp_build_25.2.3.log)
 * wx             : wxWidgets was not compiled with --enable-webview or wxWebView developer package is not installed, wxWebView will NOT be available
 * wxWidgets was not compiled with --enable-compat30, wx will NOT be useable
 * wxWidgets don't have gl support, wx will NOT be useable
 * Can not link wx program are all developer packages installed?

When I try an R23 build the message changes slightly to "wxWidgets was not compiled with --enable-compat28, wx will NOT be useable.

1 Like

Can you tell us a bit more?

Specifically can you confirm that you’re using wxwigets 3.2.2.1 ?

Also, is this intel or apple silicon?

I have not had trouble with any builds in regard to wxwidgets myself, I’m on 3.2.2.1 installed via homebrew on a mac m2.

Edit: For reference, there was one issue in OTP 24 but that was in 2021, so if you’re on the latest patch version of 24, you shouldn’t run into this : Building with wxwidgets 3.1.6 is not detecting compat30 · Issue #5883 · erlang/otp · GitHub

Edit: Sorry for the noise. One thing just occured to me, make sure you’re using the latest version of kerl.iirc, when that issue cropped up in OTP Lukas send up a lot of PRs to kerl.

1 Like

More info:

kerl is version 2.5.1, installed with homebrew
wxwidgets is version 3.2.2.1, again installed with homebrew
intel mac, 2014 macbook pro

and trying to build R25 via “$KERL_BUILD_DOCS=yes KERL_DOC_TARGETS=chunks kerl build 25.2.3 25.2.3”

Thanks,
Mark.

1 Like

Interesting, I’m on an older version of kerl right now (2.1.1) and it still works. Nothing special in my env, nor do I have anything in .kerlrc. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

So I tried downgrading kerl to 2.1.1, but same result. Also verified ~/.kerlrc is empty…

I also tried installing wxwidgets@3.0 with homebrew, and adding wx-config location in build.

KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS=“–without-javac --with-ssl=/usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1 --with-wx-config=/usr/local/Cellar/wxwidgets@3.0/3.0.5.1_1/bin/wx-config-3.0” KERL_BUILD_DOCS=yes KERL_DOC_TARGETS=chunks kerl build 23.3.4.18 23.3.4.18

same result, no wx.

Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 23.3.4.18 (23.3.4.18), please wait…
APPLICATIONS INFORMATION (See: /Users/geib/.kerl/builds/23.3.4.18/otp_build_23.3.4.18.log)

• wx : wxWidgets was not compiled with --enable-compat28, wx will NOT be useable
  • wxWidgets don’t have gl support, wx will NOT be useable
  • wxWidgets don’t have wxStyledTextControl (stc.h), wx will NOT be useable
  • Can not link the wx driver, wx will NOT be useable

Thanks,
Mark.

2 Likes

Ok, I replicated your issue if I build OTP 23. Any reason you’re building OTP 23 and not 24 or 25?

1 Like

OTP 23 requires an wxwidgets version <3.0

1 Like

Team policy more than anything. We are starting to talk regarding moving to R25, but we have seen that rebar3 must be updated when moving to R25, and we have a number of rebar3 plugins internally, and need to verify they work with the new rebar3, etc…

Thanks for reply,
Mark.

1 Like

Gotcha. I suppose you could open an issue with Erlang/OTP, but I do think the message is saying what you should do and what @LostKobrakai pointed out. That is wxwidgets <3.0 or compile wxwidgets with compat for 2.x.

1 Like

I have all the same versions and hardware down to an intel chip / installed with homebrew. i couldn’t replicate the error but now you know what it isn’t. Sorry, mate.

1 Like