Nitrogen Web Framework - have you used it?

If so, where/how and what do you like about it? :003:

Nitrogen Web Framework is the fastest way to develop interactive web applications in full-stack Erlang.

https://nitrogenproject.com

1 Like

I sure have, for tasks ranging from straight CRUD applications to a UI for SaltStack. Mostly, these days, I aggregate data and do a lot of ETL work. (I cannot stress enough how big a win Erlangā€™s concurrency is for transformations!)

I picked Nitrogen because:

• Itā€™s possible to have a rich interactive UI without touching Javascript at all. There is nothing about programming JS that I enjoy.

• Nitrogen is agnostic with regards to the model ā€“ in other words, itā€™s possible to use whatever backends and libraries are appropriate without fighting the framework. For instance, I almost always prefer hand crafted SQL to an ORM library like Ecto.

• Emphasis is on code and not configuration (or ā€“ gasp ā€“ convention). This translates into (maybe) more code but also a lot less ā€œmagicā€ than Iā€™ve encountered with other frameworks.

I emphasize these points in part because I donā€™t really write ā€œweb applications.ā€ Almost all the work I do involves teeing up data for use by other applications and, honestly, most of it could be done without a web component at all. However, itā€™s 2021 and my users expect a web UI. I usually start with a DB schema, some SQL, maybe a few REST calls, and some bespoke transformations. Once thatā€™s working via the REPL, tacking on the UI with Nitrogen is a couple of page modules and ErlyDTL templates.

Iā€™ve been using Nitrogen long enough that I have a reusable libraries providing user and group management, authorizations, AD integration, auditing, PostgreSQL interactions, and so on. Once the business process is defined and implemented, the infrastructure-y bits are trivial.

In conclusion: most of my effort should be data modeling and writing the appropriate SQL. If Iā€™m spending time trying to figure out how to update an HTML element with JS, thatā€™s not actually getting the work Iā€™m being paid for done.

Iā€™m really interested in hearing other use cases.

5 Likes

I sure have! (Iā€™m the project lead for it, so Iā€™d hope so)

@bunny pretty much covered most of why I like it.

Iā€™ve been using Nitrogen full time for about 10 years now, my primary use is for a web application for running sports leagues and tournaments that a few years back was acquired by SportsEngine/NBC Sports, but I have a handful of various contract projects built with it over the years, ranging from in-house Dropbox clones, to Truck scheduling to Telemedicine.

For those who have beef with Nitrogen not having an ORM, I have a light SQL-based framework called sql_bridge that has some very light ORM tools and is largely designed to run with Nitrogen.

Erlang really is a criminally underused language for front-end development.

6 Likes

I have made things deployed with nitrogen/n2o, it was fantastic for making a client-sided-feeling app driven from the server (think Phoenixā€™s Live pages thing now, but a bit more powerful and lower level), and this was even back in the days when something like GMail was a ā€˜new thingā€™. ^.^

2 Likes

That is so bizarre. I have been (slowly) working on the same thing, also in Nitrogen. Had no idea that parts of SportsEngine were running Erlang/Nitrogen.

3 Likes

Whoa! Thatā€™s nuts. The core SportsEngine product is obviously not in Nitrogen, but my small product that specializes in beach volleyball leagues and tournaments (BracketPal.com) is.

I realize Iā€™m the competition, but honestly, unless youā€™re specifically targeting the beach volleyball space, I donā€™t see it as that.

Iā€™m curious if youā€™ve got an early beta (or if youā€™d rather fly under the radar, thatā€™s fine too - I also I tried my best to fly under the radar for a bunch of years), Iā€™d love to see it.

If youā€™d rather discuss this privately as well, feel free to hit me up on the Erlang slack or discord (Iā€™m ā€œchopsā€ on there both). Thatā€™s fascinating to me that such a niche framework on a niche language would attract two products in the same market.

2 Likes

Feel very much the same as @bunny. I tend to build applications in SQL first. Relational databases are IMO the appropriate choice for a general-purpose data store about 90% of the time. I use a lot of stored procedures. Once I have my DB schema and stored procedures implementing all the functionality, then I build the UI on top of that. I donā€™t use ORMs. I have found building a web UI for my database to be very straightforward using Nitrogen (and I consider myself far from an Erlang expert ā€“ I like Erlang but have not used it regularly enough to become really fluent in it). One of my first managers used to say ā€œget the data model right and the application writes itselfā€ and over the past 30 years in IT and software development I have found that to be almost always true. What I like about Nitrogen is that it doesnā€™t force you into any particular backend model so it works well with this approach.

5 Likes