VerneMQ - have you used it?

Have you used MQTT and VerneMQ?
If so, what have you used it for or built using it?

Surprise us, surprise us… in Open Source you never know about all the use cases out there! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have to admit that I havn’t heard about VerneMQ until I saw it pop up here…
So far I used RabbitMQ, what would be the benefits / main differences when using VerneMQ? If I understand correctly, it’s a more distributed approach and IoT devices are a main target?

4 Likes

You never heard of Verne… how is this even possible!? :wink:

Jokes aside: VerneMQ is a single-protocol system (MQTT only) while RabbitMQ is multi-protocol (including the MQTT plugin, but with AMQP as the primary protocol, of course).

Both are distributed (clusterable). In terms of making a messaging protocol “distributed”, MQTT and AMQP have similar but also a couple of quite different challenges to address.

And yes, the main field where MQTT is used and shines is IoT, telemetry data collection etc. Queued task distribution is not what it’s mainly used for.

5 Likes

So for example it would be a good fit for collecting telemetry data from a fleet of delivery vehicles?
Or i could use it to extend my Elixir/Nerves based model train remote to a full train control system :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, Telematics is one of the fields.

Fun project! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do not use vernemq, I have used emqx something like it. And i search some mqtt broker which used erlang.

3 Likes

We use VerneMQ as a test broker in our system tests (we support MQTT as one of our connectivity options). We’ve not had any need (yet) to actually use it in production. For our internal message broker, we mostly use RabbitMQ.

4 Likes

Cool example, thanks for letting us know about it.

3 Likes

FYI, for everybody who is interested in MQTT. Zotonic uses MQTT as pub/sub protocol between browsers and the server. A lot of zotonic’s functionality is exposed via model topics, making it possible for clients to subscribe to resource updates etc.

At the moment I’m working on a teleview module which makes it possible to have server rendered components which publishes its updates (patches) via MQTT to interested clients.

It would probably be possible to connect the browsers via our client side javascript code to VereMQ. (see Cotonic

5 Likes

Nice… must try to hook VerneMQ one of these days.
Does this go over WebSockets?

3 Likes

Yes, we use web sockets.

There is an hidden chat example which connects to the open broker at mqtt.eclipseprojects.io.

You can find it here: https://cotonic.org/examples/chat/

Normally we connect the client to the origin webserver, but the client side library also works without zotonic.

4 Likes