What do you think should be in OTP?

I guess if your Server crashes and is restarted by supervisor, size_limit will be reset.

In such situations I usually either read application:get_env(my_app, size_limit) in init callback or just on-spot, instead of storign the value in supervisor’s arguments.

7 Likes

Ah that makes a lot of sense. Thank you

4 Likes
  • Saga Pattern (To Process not only HTTP)
  • Process Manager Pattern
4 Likes

Using application:get_env is just a global variable.

We use language with best-in-class isolation and then jump to global variables.

4 Likes

How can I increase it to 2000? Code upgrade?

Code upgrade, indeed!
Another approach is to have official API to your gen_server, like gen_server:call(?MODULE, {set_capacity, 2000}).

4 Likes
  • Interactive documentation - where all examples of the code can be run in documentation web site and take a look to result.
  • Interactive tutor - e.g. as implemented for Golang - A Tour of Go.
    :upside_down_face:
5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Tryerlang.org - try Erlang in your browser!

Online Erlang customize builder - Imagine, you go to the official Erlang website, indicate in an online form under which OS and OS category to make the assembly, indicate which components you want to be in this assembly, press the assemble button and after a few seconds you will receive your own assembly without additional components that you do not use at all in your project :upside_down_face:. And something tells me that it is very closely related to Configuration of Erlang system :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s something like that. But it still missing tools around an OTP. For example, a binary tool like erlang_ls. :wink:

3 Likes

Integration bootstrap into EDoc - for rebar3 projects already implemented few great plugins for build beautiful and convenient Erlang documentation

and

I believe will be provided also other similar plugins but what about Erlang.mk projects? The developers and team who use Erlang.mk instead of rebar3 will still experience inconvenience with the old style of documentation :frowning: … At the same time @garazdawi already did an amazing job with the integration of Bootstrap into official Erlang web site and we already know how positively the Erlang community reacted to this. I believe that it would be great if EDoc also will have Bootstrap HTML/CSS/JavaScript stuff for build cross-browser documentation for any existing project :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I think edoc styles and so forth should be definitely be updated, but I don’t think it obviates the need for using ex_doc when publishing docs to hex. The docs generated by ex_doc are more than just pretty :slight_smile: It’s a standard format. One important aspect is a standardized way of generating links such that packages can link to each other (e.g., type links) on hexdocs.pm.

It’s possible you could have that all in edoc, but that requires edoc not only being hex aware but keeping up with ex_doc, moving target style.

Users of erlang.mk could use ex_doc right now, if they wanted to FWIW. The instructions in ex_doc reference rebar3 but could be applied to erlang.mk.

3 Likes

Agreed. Almost all languages that are considered batteries included end-up with unmaintained or outdated modules, which later are deprecated and removed anyway. Less is more!

The community will always be larger than the Erlang/OTP team and it should be on us to provide the missing pieces we find necessary. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This is a really cool idea. Compared to most other ideas in this thread this doesn’t need changes in OTP itself (though OTP xcomp improvements would greatly help) so it’s a great candidate for a community project that maybe would become official one day.

5 Likes

Yeah, there was a reason I started a thread about what should NOT be in OTP :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I find the idea of adding javascript to edoc egregious. The new erlang.org looks comparatively worse on browsers like netsurf. If we’ll need spidermonkey or V8 to “properly” view the docs, I’d ask for a reevaluation.

2 Likes

With the customized build do you want them like with a package or src? rpm, Deb or just a tar ball or all combinations. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All combinations or as minimum - as more as possible :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Agree with essen.
We should better remove things or at least move high level applications out of Erlang (megaco, jinterface etc…).
But some things need to be added to Erlang MHO :

• missing compression algorithms, in particular lzma
  • exec command for os with exit code
  • namespace concept to allow use of modules with same name but from two (or more) different sources.
6 Likes

+1 for having a proper “os:cmd” that returns exit code, stdin/stdout/stderr separately, and has somewhat more control. I have a dozen of those spread over various places in code.

11 Likes

3 new guards:

• is_ip(IP): is_ipv4(IP) orelse is_ipv6(IP)
  • is_ipv4(IP)
  • is_ipv6(IP)
4 Likes