Which code editor or IDE do you use?

No, it’s not jit, it’s aot. Usually packages would be compiled into native code on first load instead of Emacs VM code. On nixos though the scripts try to compile even earlier (environment update) to the native code, as that’s more within the nix spirit.

I’m not sure if it really gives me any benefits, I never did any benchmarks. I originally switched to it, because of native JSON handling, which indeed made the LSP feeling more responsive.

Since it’s in mainline Emacs I just stuck to the native compilation branch for being used to it.

2 Likes

I’m really pleased to see Vim in the lead :003:

Also just a quick note to say that you can change your vote at any time - so if you find one day you switch editors, please update your vote above :023:

2 Likes

I’m more pleased to see that people are using what they think fit them best. Let’s all just get along without any editor wars!

3 Likes

Haha, people are allowed to have their faves - and like them so much they want others to know how good they think they are :upside_down_face: that’s how people get others to adopt tech, whether it be languages …or code editors :smiley:

Some of my most popular blog posts are those where I’ve spoken about how much I like something (including Vim :see_no_evil:)

2 Likes

Of course people should have their favourites and be passionate about them - as long as they’re aware they’ll never be as good as Emacs. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

:081:

Haha love it :lol:

The closest I got to trying Emacs was SpaceMacs - in evil mode :icon_twisted:

2 Likes

Not a bad way to jump in to it at all, can always refine it later. ^.^

1 Like

Please don’t make me learn Emacs. I’m already learning Erlang and Swedish. I’m running out of slots in my brain to learn new things. :joy:

11 Likes

I use Geany https://geany.org/, on both Windows or Linux. Anyone else?
HP

2 Likes

Now I wonder: what’s more difficult to master, Emacs or Swedish? :thinking:

5 Likes

Probably Emacs. Swedish isn’t too bad. :joy:

4 Likes

I will use erlang_ls + VSCode when they are mature. For now, Jetbrains’s IDE provides the best developing experience.
I guess emacs works well with erlang_ls, too. But I haven’t used emacs since 7 years ago to save my left pinky.

3 Likes

Sublime Text 4, together NeoVintageous for VIM-mode and erlang-ls for IDE-like features.

I sometimes try other editor but no other editor is as fast and quick as Sublime so I always come back to it.

2 Likes

Joe-Editor, anyone? It was the default editor for Slackware, back in … 1993?!
Linux 0.99 patch level 13 if anyone cares.

4 Likes

I used to be a big fan of Sublime Text (and TextMate on the Mac before that), to the point where I persuaded the company to bulk buy licenses. VSCode has now become ubiquitous, but I do miss Sublime’s responsiveness. It also worked on the very old versions of Redhat Linux I needed to use at the time.

If Sublime offered the remote editing support that VSCode has, I could perhaps be tempted back.

3 Likes

I thankfully don’t have to work with remote editing that much, but if I do I am tempted to try something like StrongSync on macOS

2 Likes

Ha, I still use joe for quick editing tasks, and VS Code for more serious coding.
I’m a relative newbie, only started using Slackware when the 1.0 kernel came out. Although in my defense I picked joe because Wordstar and later Turbo Pascal keybindings are fused into my motor cortex :wink:

2 Likes

gccEmacs 28 (Spacemacs/develop with Emacs keybinding) + erlang_ls (works out of the box)
I like the navigation consistency between my Terminal, Erlang shell, Emacs…

3 Likes

I used Emacs for some years, I’m taking some time out now.

I have developed an entire Erlang toy project using ed(1), sometimes I would open XCode only to see something in a bigger picture but sometimes I used less(1) for it.
Since Erlang have a simple syntax, I didn’t felt the need for code complete etc, so I was having some fun with ed(1) and I felt seriously productive using it after some time.
Most of the time I feel like IDE features keep getting in the way instead of helping.

Now that I’m having some more time with Elixir and Phoenix I have to edit files in different directories and it’s a bit hard to do that with ed(1), so I’m evaluating the X free days of JetBrains RubyMine. I’m not a fan of IDE but I liked it, but didn’t searched for any Erlang plugin, I don’t know if it would work for Erlang.

Nerdy plans to build my own editor someday.

5 Likes

I use my own shell/windows based IDE. The core of it is the editor Phred, which is my own mouse based editor. I’ve been writing my own editors since the 80’s, and Phred is the latest. It does exactly what I want, exactly how I want it to. It works with a number of small tools that I’ve developed over the years that similarly do just what I want. I expect others would hate it, but it works great for me.

6 Likes