Build & Packaging (and Docs) Working Group Minutes

Hey everyone, as you may know, the Build & Packaging working group meets monthly, on the first Tuesday of the month. It initially was all done in Zoom meetings, but to make accessibility easier, the meetings have been shifted to asynchronous day-long discussions in slack threads on the EEF slack, back in December 2022.

As was made clear in a thread earlier this year, people don’t necessarily know what goes on in these meetings or that they even take place.

So in an attempt to be a bit more visible, I will be re-publishing meeting minutes here, so people have an idea what is going on, without having to stay up to date with our repo where they are stored: build-and-packaging-wg/minutes at master · erlef/build-and-packaging-wg · GitHub

For what it’s worth, this repository holds minutes dating back to October 2020.

16 Likes

Here are the minutes for the last two meetings, January 2024 and February 2024.

January

February

The February meeting had this single topic discussed.

8 Likes

This is great, thanks @MononcQc. One observation I have (based on the minutes) is that there really are not many posts tagged “Erlang Ecosystem Foundation”. Perhaps instead of opening up the private areas, more activity could be conducted in public areas and tagged appropriately?

1 Like
  1. These are meetings between members so it sort of makes sense they are held between members and not just public threads. The goal is to pull a bunch of motivated maintainers and contributors together to synchronize work and bounce ideas. They happen on top of the public discussions and public threads, not instead of them
  2. Are the forums with appropriate tagging not going to be sufficiently public nor appropriately tagged?

:+1:

I’m sure they will be :slight_smile:. My suggestion was only to avoid changing the existing board set-up, but I’m happy with whatever works for you.

I’m catching up to my duties before the next meeting, and posting the minutes update for March in here: build-and-packaging-wg/minutes/2024-03-05.md at master · erlef/build-and-packaging-wg · GitHub

Our one discussion topic this month were a quick survey of OTP-27 readiness. Keep in mind that the meeting was held when only 27-rc1 was released and does not account for 27-rc2 yet:

• Rebar3: appears to be all-good. There’s a warning in there that’s patched and will need a new release
  • Elixir mostly good, a few details to iron out
  • rebar3_hexdoc has had v0.2.22 released to cover OTP-27
  • erlef/setup-beam is now being tested for OTP 27, it’s released and no issues are reported
  • kerl/kerl has been adapted for OTP 27, but it’ll only be release when 27 is out (we need to use the latest, from the main branch, until then), the relevant change being it creating the docs for 27 locally (using ex_doc)

I’m forced to admit attendance is a bit down and topics discuss are shrinking; for a fourth month in a row we had 2 or fewer topics to discuss, and only 1 topic to discuss for 2 months in a row.

Anything the members of this forum would like to ask the WG for next week’s meeting?

4 Likes