Erlang Master Class 1: Functional Programming (Kent University)

By @simonthompson

Functional programming is increasingly important in providing global-scale applications on the internet.

We combine the theory of functional programming and the practice of how that works in Erlang. The course will also help you if you are interested in Elixir, based on the same virtual machine as Erlang, and will help you get going with any functional language.

Functional programming has been a strength at the University of Kent for the last 30 years. You’ll learn with Simon Thompson – co-author of one of the standard introductions to Erlang, O’Reilly Media’s Erlang Programming.

What will you achieve?

By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…

• Explain why Erlang was developed, how its design was shaped by the context in which it was used, and how Erlang can be used in practice today

• Reflect on the design of Erlang, in the context of the rationale for its development, and how it is used in practice today

• Produce programs using the concepts of functional programming, including, in particular, recursion, pattern matching and immutable data

• Apply knowledge of lists and other Erlang data types in programs

• Develop higher-order functions using generic patterns

Who is the course for?

This course is designed for anyone with prior programming experience, who wants to learn more about functional programming and Erlang.

You could be a developer or computing professional seeking to understand and gain experience with this technology; a computer science undergraduate studying functional programming as part of your degree; or a self-taught programmer looking to take your knowledge to the next level.

You can enrol in the above course and take part with other students, but there is a pre-recorded version available on YouTube too:

8 Likes

I suppose also missed link to courses - Functional Programming in Erlang - Online Course.

3 Likes

Thank Viacheslav :023:

I was posting these from my iPad last night after having seen @DevotionGeo’s thread about the courses on Devtalk :lol: I have updated the post above to our usual format for books/courses now - thank you posting the link :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for posting these! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I have done this course - it gets my thumbs up :+1:

2 Likes

You’re welcome - please let us Know how you get on if you do/watch them :003:

Thanks awesome Phil :023:

Did you do the online course or watch the pre-recorded videos?

1 Like

I did the course online. It took a significant amount of effort to complete all the exercises, but the great part was everyone else on the course was doing it over the same time period and we did peer marking and there was an active community spirit.

2 Likes